Top 10 Best Places to Travel in December in Europe
The holidays are a great time to travel, and there are plenty of amazing places to see in Europe in December.
If you’re looking for some ideas, here are the top 10 best places to travel in December in Europe!
Why Travel to Europe in December
If you’re looking to get away from the cold weather this winter, why not travel to Europe?
December is a great time to visit Europe, as many cities are decorated for Christmas and there are plenty of festive events taking place.
Plus, with the shorter days, you’ll have more time to enjoy the city sights without having to worry about getting up early for sunrise.
Here are some of the best places to travel to in Europe in December:
Spain’s Barcelona is a top December travel destination for a number of reasons. First, the weather is still mild in December, making it comfortable to walk around and explore the city. Second, there are a number of Christmas markets and events that take place in Barcelona during December, adding to the festive atmosphere. Finally, Barcelona is home to some of Europe’s best architecture and art museums, which are definitely worth a visit.
Lapland, Finland is one of the top best places to travel in December in Europe. The main reason to visit Lapland in December is to see the Northern Lights. Other than that, Lapland is a great place to enjoy winter activities such as skiing, snowboarding, and ice fishing.
If you want to experience a real winter wonderland, then Lapland, Finland is the place to be. Although it can be quite cold in December, with temperatures often dipping below zero, it’s all worth it when you get to see the magical Northern Lights. If you’re lucky enough to catch a clear night, it’s an experience you’ll never forget.
In addition to seeing the Northern Lights, there are plenty of other reasons to visit Lapland in December. This is an excellent time of year for winter sports lovers, as there are plenty of ski resorts and cross-country skiing trails to explore. Ice fishing is also popular in Lapland – if you’ve never tried it before, now’s your chance!
If you’re looking for a destination that has it all—beautiful scenery, great food and wine, rich history and culture, and festive holiday cheer—then Vienna, Austria is the place for you. December is an ideal time to visit this charming city, as the Christmas markets are in full swing and the streets are decked out in holiday lights.
Start your visit by strolling around the beautiful Ringstrasse, taking in the sights of the Hofburg Palace and Vienna Opera House. Then head to one of the city’s many Christmas markets to do some shopping and sample traditional Austrian fare like schnitzel and strudel. And don’t forget to stop by a café for a cup of Viennese coffee or hot chocolate.
For some outdoor winter fun, take a spin on the ice rink at Wiener Eistraum or go for a horse-drawn carriage ride through the city. And no visit to Vienna would be complete without seeing a performance at the world-renowned Vienna State Opera House.
Prague, Czech Republic
Prague is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe. According to recent surveys, it is also the sixth most visited city in the world. Situated in the Czech Republic, Prague is known for its picturesque scenery, historic buildings and bridges, and vibrant nightlife. December is an ideal time to visit Prague, as the city comes alive with festive lights and decorations. There are also a number of events and activities taking place throughout the month, such as Christmas markets, concerts, and ice skating.
Although often overshadowed by its more popular neighbors, Estonia’s capital city of Tallinn is well worth a visit – especially in December. The city’s medieval old town is one of the best-preserved in Europe and is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. During the Christmas season, the old town comes alive with festive markets, lights, and decorations. Visitors can enjoy traditional Estonian foods like black pudding and gingerbread, shop for handmade gifts, and listen to live music. Other attractions include the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Town Hall Square, and Toompea Castle.
Riga is the capital of Latvia and one of the best places to travel in December in Europe. The city is full of Christmas markets, which are a great place to find gifts and try traditional Latvian food. There are also plenty of things to do in Riga, from exploring the Old Town to visiting museums and churches.
Budapest, Hungary is the perfect place to travel in December if you’re looking for a festive and magical experience. The city is decked out in holiday lights and decorations, and there’s plenty of Christmas markets to browse through. You can also go ice skating at City Park, visit the Budapest Zoo, or take a scenic ride on the funicular railway.
Zagreb, Croatia is one of the best places to travel in December in Europe. The city is full of Christmas markets, festive lights, and holiday cheer. You can wander through the markets, do some shopping, and enjoy the festive atmosphere. There are also a number of museums and galleries to explore, as well as plenty of restaurants and cafes to enjoy.
Bruges, Belgium is one of the best places to travel to in December due to its charming Christmas markets. The market square is transformed into a winter wonderland with stalls selling traditional Belgian food, mulled wine, and handmade gifts. There is also an ice rink set up in the square, making it the perfect place to enjoy a festive day out.
If you’re looking for a festive European city to visit during the Christmas season, Amsterdam is a great choice! The Dutch capital is filled with holiday cheer, from the beautiful Christmas lights decorating the canals to the charming Christmas markets selling traditional Dutch goods. There are also plenty of festive events to enjoy, such as the Amsterdam Light Festival and the New Year’s Eve fireworks. And if you’re looking for a unique holiday experience, you can even take a canal cruise through the city’s famous canals!
Top 10 Best Places to Travel in December in Europe Summary
1. Barcelona, Spain: With its sunny weather and Mediterranean atmosphere, Barcelona is the perfect place to escape the winter blues. The city’s Christmas markets are also not to be missed.
2. Madrid, Spain: If you’re looking for a festive and lively atmosphere, Madrid is the place to be in December. The Spanish capital comes alive during the holidays with its many Christmas markets and traditions.
3. Paris, France: There’s no better place to enjoy the holiday season than in Paris. The city sparkles with Christmas lights and decorations, and its iconic landmarks take on a new look when blanketed in snow.
4. Vienna, Austria: Vienna is a magical place to be during December, especially if you love Christmas markets. The city’s many squares come alive with stalls selling traditional Austrian fare and handmade gifts.
5. Copenhagen, Denmark: Copenhagen is known for its festive atmosphere during the holidays, and its Christmas markets are some of the best in Europe. Be sure to try some of the traditional Danish dishes while you’re there!
6. Berlin, Germany: Berlin comes alive during December with its many Christmas markets and holiday events. If you’re looking for a festive and cultural experience, this is the place to be.
7.’s-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands: This charming Dutch city is worth a visit any time of year, but it’s especially lovely during December when its canals are lined with candles and
Top 10 Best Places to Travel in December in Europe FAQ
1. What are the best places to travel in December in Europe?
There are many wonderful places to visit in Europe during the month of December. We have just listed our favorite above.
2. What are the best Christmas markets in Europe?
There are so many great Christmas markets throughout Europe! A few of our favorites include the Christkindlesmarkt in Nuremberg, Germany; the Christmas Market in Dresden, Germany; and the Christmas Market at St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna, Austria.
3. What are some other great things to do in Europe during December?
In addition to visiting Christmas markets, you can also enjoy festive holiday activities such as ice skating, sledding, and skiing. You can also take advantage of the shorter days and longer nights by enjoying some of Europe’s best nightlife scene.
4. Where should I go if I want to experience a traditional European Christmas?
If you’re looking for a more traditional European Christmas experience, we recommend visiting Prague in the Czech Republic or Salzburg in Austria. Both of these cities offer spectacular holiday markets and beautiful old-world architecture.
5. I’m traveling with kids…are there any great places to visit in Europe that are kid-friendly?
Yes! Most definitely.
6. What are the most popular tourist destinations in Europe during December?
Some of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe during December include London, Paris, Vienna, Copenhagen, and Amsterdam.
7. What are the best things to do in Europe during December?
In addition to visiting Christmas markets, some other great things to do in Europe during December include ice skating, sledding, skiing, and enjoying the nightlife scene.
8. What are the best places to stay in Europe during December?
There are many great places to stay in Europe during December. Some of our favorites include hotels in London, Paris, Vienna, Copenhagen, and Amsterdam.
9. What is the best time to visit Europe?
The best time to visit Europe depends on your individual travel preferences. If you’re looking to avoid the crowds, we recommend traveling during the shoulder season (April-May and September-October). If you’re looking for the best deals on travel, we recommend traveling during the off-season (November-February).
10. I’m on a budget…are there any great places to visit in Europe that won’t break the bank?
Yes! There are many great places to visit in Europe that are very budget-friendly. Some of our favorites include Prague, Budapest, and Krakow.
11. What is the weather like in Europe during December?
The weather in Europe during December can vary depending on the region. In general, the weather is colder and wetter in the north, while the south tends to be milder and drier.
12. What should I pack for a trip to Europe during December?
Be sure to pack warm, weather-appropriate clothing if you’re traveling to Europe during December. A heavy coat, hat, scarf, and gloves are a good idea, as well as comfortable walking shoes.
13. How can I save money on my trip to Europe during December?
There are a few ways you can save money on your trip to Europe during December. Traveling during the shoulder season or off-season can help you avoid peak travel prices. Additionally, booking your travel in advance can often help you secure lower rates. Finally, using budget-friendly accommodation options such as hostels or Airbnb can help keep your costs down.
14. What are some tips for traveling to Europe during December?
Here are a few tips for traveling to Europe during December:
– Dress warmly and pack weather-appropriate clothing.
– Be prepared for colder temperatures and wetter weather, especially in the north.
– Take advantage of the shorter days and longer nights by enjoying some of Europe’s best nightlife scene.
– Travel during the shoulder season or off-season to avoid peak travel prices.
– Book your travel in advance to secure lower rates.
– Use budget-friendly accommodation options such as hostels or Airbnb.
15. Are there any special events or holidays that take place in Europe during December?
There are a few special events and holidays that take place in Europe during December. These include Christmas, New Year’s Eve, and Hanukkah.
16. Which European city is the best place to visit during December?
This is a difficult question to answer as there are so many great places to visit in Europe during December. A few of our favorites include London, Paris, Vienna, Copenhagen, and Amsterdam.